Prev | List | Random | Next
Join
Powered by RingSurf!



Anti-PC League

Powered by Blogger


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.


Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Black caucus excludes members based on race

So, you're a junior representative just elected to Tennessee's state house. You figure you'll join the black caucus, since those guys know what's going on. But wait, you're a white guy. You get everything from chuckles to accusations of racism. People send you death threats for daring to suggest the black caucus allow in a non-black.

Interesting, isn't it, that blacks are allowed to discriminate in this fashion? What would the response be to the formation of a "white caucus" in the state, or federal, house of representatives? I think this is another highlight that the black leadership isn't about equality, it's about special interests.

The whole thing started because Rep. Stacey Campfield wanted to see a copy of the by-laws. Here's Rep. Campfield in his own words:

I woke up this morning to front-page news of how I had asked for the bylaws of a
state funded organization and was denied them. Actually, it's an old story.

Back in the spring, I had asked the leader of the black caucus, Johnny Shaw, for a
copy of the bylaws. Johnny said he wanted to see a copy of the Republican Caucus
bylaws first. I agreed and had a copy sent to him in less than 10 minutes.

When my assistant returned from dropping them off, she notified me that Shaw did not want to give me a copy of the bylaws. I called Johnny Shaw back and he said
unless I had a court order or attorney general's opinion, he was not going to
give me anything.

I later asked him again for a copy and was again rebuffed. I asked why I couldn't have a copy and asked what he didn't want me to see. Johnny said he didn't have to give me anything and asked why I wanted the copy. “Do you want to be a member?” he said.

I said “I don't know. Are you asking me to join?”
Johnny said “No! You can't be a member.”

I asked “why?”

He answered “because you are white.”



Now keep in mind, Stacy Campfield was asking for the bylaws of a public, tax-funded organization. Surely that's a reasonable request. But he was rebuffed at every turn. To me, that says the black caucus is hiding something in the bylaws...but what, we'll never know.